Paper Straws Necklace – DIY
These St. Patrick’s Day themed Paper Straws Necklaces are so easy to make!
Grab some paper straws and let’s get started.
You can find these green and white paper straws in craft and party stores. They come in so many colors and styles – why stop at St. Patrick’s Day necklaces?
Paper straws make great beads – they are colorful, easy to string for small hands, and add that little touch of ‘fun and whimsy’ to projects.
Gathering Your Supplies
- Colorful paper straws
- Coordinating pony beads and other plastic or wood beads – we used some for our daughters crafting stash
- Elastic string – I like to use a thin string, especially if it is for a necklace on a small child – I want it to break if it ever gets ‘too tight’ for any reason, pulled, caught on something, etc.
- Cut an ample piece of elastic – we used about 24″ TIP – It is always easier to tie off and complete a project if you have extra length to work with
- Using scissors, cut the paper straws into beads – we cut our straws at around 3/4′ to 1″ in length TIP – The scissors don’t need to be sharp for this, a nice pair of blunt scissors and even the youngest hands can cut their own ‘custom’ sized beads
- Tie off one bead at the start of the string – this will keep the necklace from coming undone if it is dropped while working on it
- Start beading! TIP – We used this activity to discuss patterns and what makes one
- Once you have gotten the desired length of your necklace, tie it off to the bead you started with and finish with a double knot.
Looking for more St. Patrick’s Day Ideas – Check these posts out:
Nana’s Irish Soda Bread – a perfect bread to celebrate Spring
St. Patrick’s Day Lacing Craft – turn paper cut outs into lacing fun.
Key Lime Pie – These aren’t just for St. Patrick’s Day, but boy are they good and this photo tutorial shows you all the steps.
Paper Straw Garland – another fun use for decorating with paper straws.