Heart Craft – Valentine Heartstrings
We are always looking for fun and easy crafts here at Mom’s Lifesavers. This heart craft is the perfect Valentine’s Day decoration that not only looks great, it is easy to make and display.
We used a heart punch to cut our heart shapes out, but you can cut individual hearts out or use pre-cut hearts. We have seen hearts made of glitter foam or similar that you can find at craft stores and with seasonal decorations.
Gathering your Supplies
This is what we would call a very flexible craft – you can substitute other items using what you have on hand so there are a variety of supplies listed. Use what works best for you and your little crafters.
- Paper – we used pre-printed scrapbook paper. Other paper that will work: pages from magazines, newspaper, construction paper, etc.
- Heart shaped paper punch and scissors. A heart shaped paper punch makes this craft come together very quickly, scissors will work too.
- Glue stick – we used a purple glue stick (lets us see where we have placed the glue). School glue would also work, but will require a little more dry time. Glue dots work great too.
- Ribbon, thread, yarn – we used an ornament thread that we had on hand. String and thin ribbon will also work.
- Thicker ribbon for hanging. We used a 5/8″ ribbon to attach our ‘heart strings’ to.
Video How To
- Punch a bunch of hearts. We used a different paper heart for each side of the heart string.
- Cut a length of thread. Using the glue stick, add glue to each side of the heart cutout. ‘Sandwich’ the thread between the hearts.
- Continue adding hearts every 5 or 6 inches up the thread.
- Once you have the hearts added, cut a piece of thicker ribbon the desired width of the heart string ‘curtain’.
- Using glue dots, craft glue or glue stick, attach threads to ribbon.
- Repeat the above until you have the width of ribbon filled with heart strings. Cut a second piece of ribbon, the same length to ‘sandwich’ the heart strings between.
- Hang in a window to display and enjoy.