Day of the Dead DIY Crafts
I can’t get enough of the Day of the Dead inspired crafts, make-up, costumes, celebrations and more!!!
Take a look around and you will see Day of the Dead influences all around. This year we are seeing it on pumpkins, costumes, cookies and lots of make-up! Pinterest has so much inspiration we just had to make something here at Mom’s Lifesavers.
Day of the Dead DIY Skull
We started with a plastic skull from DollarTree and with a few dollar store items we were able to transform it into a Day of the Dead decoration.
This craft was fun and very inexpensive. Our daughter enjoyed it so much she had a tip we just had to share:
“This would make a great craft at a Halloween party – my friends would love to make one of these and everyone’s would be different!
All Supplies from DollarTree unless noted
- Plastic skull
- White correction pen (sold as a pack of 2)
- Multicolor sheet of adhesive rhinestones
- Glue Dots
- Nail stickers
- Sharpie black marker
- Take a look around Pinterest for some inspiration and find some features you like – we drew our face on freehand – very much like doodling – there is no such thing as a mistake!
- Start with the white correction pen. Practice on a scrap piece of paper, it takes a little practice to apply pressure and squeeze the pen. Using designs like spider webs, hearts and flowers start covering the skull canvas.
- Next add the nail stickers – we had flowers that we used around the eyes.
- Outline. Outlining the white correction pen lines will make your design pop.
- Finally add on all the ‘bling’ your skull needs!
Pumpkin Day of the Dead Tattoo Kit
I just had to try this! We saw it at CVS in the Halloween decorations for $4.99 The question I had was does it work? (I can hardly get washable tattoos to stick to my kids hand!) The answer – yes! AND it looked cool.
I love that this kit is all self contained. There was enough glitter glue to cover the entire design and the tattoo went on surprisingly easy – just follow the package directions. Here is our finished pumpkin:
We have more Day of the Dead crafts coming! Stay tuned.